Building Bridges of Excellence Since 1958
American Board of Medical Hypnosis
The Application Process
|Who Can Apply?||
Candidates for the American Board of Medical Hypnosis (and all the American Boards of Clinical Hypnosis) need to meet the criteria for Approved Consultants through ASCH:
Be a licensed physician in good standing and hold active board certification in her or his medical specialty
Be able to document at least five years - since first ASCH- SCEH- or equivalent approved training - of clinical hypnosis experience in practice.
Have fully achieved the minimum requirements for the ASCH Approved Consultant or equivalent training.
|What Makes an Application?||
· An Application Form
· A check or money order in the amount of $450 (US funds only) made out to the American Board of Medical Hypnosis
· A Curriculum Vitae (helps to highlight hypnosis-related stuff)
· Documentation of education and training in hypnosis: dates, hours, locations, sponsors, certificates
· Learning with Approved Consultants, mentoring relationships
· Hypnosis teaching including lectures, webinars, workshops etc. with dates, location, type of Descriptions of supervision and consultant work with other professionals
· Hypnosis Publications, audio-, video-recordings
· Contributions to the lay media
· Letter of recommendation from a professional colleague in the applicant’s medical community familiar with the applicant’s practice.
· Two recent photographs (at least 5 X 7 inches)
· A video recording of a clinical encounter using hypnosis that meets the following criteria:
ü Representative of your usual application of hypnosis for a clinical problem in your practice.
ü Two sessions with a patient, one reflecting initial introduction to hypnosis and a second, later employing more advanced techniques or strategies.
ü A 1-2 page synopsis highlighting the clinical history, the rationale for the hypnotic approach that is employed and any relevant controversies in the use of hypnosis for this type of problem.
ü A written release given by the patient and guardian (if a minor)
· Examination is (currently) offered once a year at the ASCH Annual Meeting and Workshops .
· Deadline for completed application must be submitted to the President or Secretary/Treasurer of the ABMH no later than 1-month prior to the first day of the ASCH Annual Meeting .
· The application will be considered completed and the applicant accepted to sit for the Examination only after it is reviewed by the Secretary/Treasurer and found to be satisfactory. The Secretary/Treasurer may request additional review of the application by other officers of the ABMH.
· The dates, times, and locations of the Examination will not be scheduled until a completed application has been received, reviewed and found complete.
· Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will be returned to the applicant.
· SO….you really ought to have the application materials submitted by the end of the previous calendar year to give us time.